Africa on Wheels welcomes you to Namibia!
MAY Special-20% discount
In honor of every employee the special starts on international workers day on 1st of May.
Frequently asked questions:
What kind of a vehicle do I need?
How do I choose the right vehicle for my needs?
- What is your budget? How much are you willing to spend?
- Do you prefer an automatic or a manual transmission?
- How much space do you need for passengers, luggage, and perhaps extras/camping equipment?
- Car rental companies offer a wide range, also in regard to luxury. What are your needs in terms of comfort?
- Are you staying at hotels, lodging, or do you want to go camping?
What else is important to note for my self-drive holiday in Namibia?
What does the car rental company need from me?
Do I need an international driver’s license?
Where do I look for a Namibian car rental company?
Should I rent the vehicle directly or make use of a travel agent/tour operator?
Booking directly with the rental company has the advantage that they can advise you and recommend the ideal vehicle suited for your personal needs. However, should you choose to contact an agency, it is important that the respective travel agent is knowledgeable of the country, and ideally either has a local office, or is working with a Namibian company.
Namibia is home to vast and seemingly landscapes, and you often travel long distances far away from civilization. A good travel agency will ensure, you see as much as possible, without being stuck in a car for too long. Ideally, you will travel no more than 300 to 350 kilometres a day, also because Namibia has many unsurfaced roads and on the best gravel roads there is a speed limit of 80 km/h. A good car rental company can also recommend a good travel agent that can assist you.
How can I spot a “good” car rental company?
- Calls and enquiries are immediately attended to, and the is polite forthcoming, and helpful.
- Booking agents are aware of all bookings or can connect you immediately with the relevant person who will assist you.
- Misunderstandings are immediately addressed with the goal of finding a solution.
- Does the car rental company have a good reputation? It is important that you inform yourself about possible rental companies. Some service providers’ websites offer a great first impression with pictures and customer reviews, it there are also travel forums and chat groups, in which former customers share their experiences.
- Does the rental company have a (professional) website? The homepage can speak volumes about the quality of the respective service provider. A car rental company that values its image, the customer’s experience, and professionalism will likely also have an inviting, well-organized, and structured homepage. Here it is also very important that their offering and pricing structure is unambiguously clear and transparent, so that the client will not be stuck with hidden costs and fees.
How important is the model year of the respective rental vehicles?
Newer models do not necessarily make for “better” vehicles. Some car rental companies are able to make you a much better offer based on the size of their fleet. The age of the vehicle is not necessarily a determining factor for the quality of the vehicle. What is important, is that for instance the rental company has its own workshop, where the vehicles are serviced regularly to ensure that they are in the best condition possible.
Vehicles offering greater comfort and luxury, such as the Toyota Land Cruiser, are usually more expensive.
Where and how do I pick up my rental?
The handover of the vehicle happens either at the airport or at the company’s offices in town. Some car rental companies have a branch and a vehicle depot at the airport, while others offer customers a shuttle service. In case of late flights/arrivals, the customers will be brought to their accommodation, in order for them to pick up the rental the following day/morning.
Do I have to refill the rental vehicle before returning it?
Many car rental companies provide you with a full fuel tank upon handing the vehicle over to you, and usually you have to return the rental with a full tank. Some car rental companies, on the other hand, will provide you with only a quarter of a tank, and you will have to return the vehicle with an equal amount of fuel. However, the rental companies can be quite flexible and exceptions are not uncommon.
What should I consider when choosing an insurance option?
- What options can you choose from? What do they cover, and which of them suits your needs (excess, glas and tyre cover, etc.)?
- Are the different options explained clearly and transparent? Any hidden costs?
- Do they offer a 24-hour breakdown service or roadside assistance?
What should I do in case of an accident or breakdown?
- The first and most important thing to do in an accident, breakdown, or similar emergency: call the rental company!
- In case of an accident, no matter how small or minor, you have to immediately call the police – for insurance purposes, an official police report must be provided as well as the driver’s (international) driving license.
Guarantees? What should I consider?
- Can the rental company guarantee you a specific vehicle, or is there a possibility that you end up with a different vehicle?
- Does the rental company guarantee you a vehicle in a good condition?
- How many spare wheels will you be provided with, and do they cost extra? Will they ensure that you are provided with the right equipment?
How do I pay?
Africa on Wheels and mobilianz GmbH decided on a joint cooperation at the International Tourism FAIR ITB 2018 in Berlin. A specially tailored off-road training for the individual traveller and self-driver has been developed which works as the ideal preparation for experiencing southern Africa on your own.
Africa on Wheels Newsletter
Exclusive Access for offers and Promotions